Christmas in China 2008 was an incredible journey. This was my first time to China and the experiences that we had there completely blew away any expectations that I had upon entering the country. We had the opportunity to meet many people, especially college students, and were able to share the story of Christmas with many of them. One encounter in particular touches my heart, and I would like to share it with you.
I would like to introduce you to three young Chinese women. Their English names are (left to right) Sarah, Angela, and Selena. Brandy (far left in the picture above) had the opportunity to go to their college and help them practice English before their final exam. She shared with them the true meaning of Christmas, and they expressed an interest in learning more about the Bible. After many days of trying to schedule appointments with these girls, Brandy was finally able to find a time that these young women were able to meet.
The day after Christmas, these new Chinese friends of ours came to our hotel room. We sat down with them and had a little bit of small talk before reaching for our Bibles and asking them if they would like to learn more. Sarah answered enthusiastically that she had been reading all about the psychology of the Bible in the internet, and that she very much wanted to learn more about it. So, we began to read.
We began in Genesis and asked our new friends to read about each day of creation. We would then spend time explaining each day to ensure that they understood. They were enthralled by the fact that God made us in his very own image, and could not wait to hear more. Brandy then turned to Isaiah and began to talk about the prophesies of the Old Testament being fulfilled in the New Testament through Jesus. They could not get enough. We turned to Matthew in the New Testament and began to tell them about the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus.
When our reading of a few passages came to a close, we looked over at Angela who had tears in her eyes. She said, "I do not know the words to express how I am feeling. I believe that this is true." We excitedly told her what it means to become a Christian. She said that she needed to do that I turned to Romans and read to her how to become a Christian. She was unsure how to pray the prayer of salvation, so we guided her through it in English, and she translated and repeated it in Chinese.
After Angela finished praying, Sarah said, "I do not think Jesus was crazy. I believe this too." Brandy asked if she felt like she wanted to become a Christian and if she needed to pray. We then led her in the prayer of salvation which she translated and repeated in Chinese.
The third girl, Selena, sat quietly throughout Angela and Sarah's prayers. When they were finished, she said that she too wanted to become a Christian. Brandy and I were wary of her praying just because the other girls prayed, so I asked her a few questions. Every time I would ask her something, she would say, "Yes, can we pray?" or "Yes I believe this, I would like to pray now." Finally, after several questions she said, "OK. NOW can we pray?" I laughed and told her that of course we could pray. She too prayed a prayer of salvation in Chinese.
These three young women entered our room as relative strangers, but left as sisters. We knew we could leave them with confidence knowing that they would be well taken care of and discipled by the Christian friends we met while there.

No comments:
Post a Comment